We are proud to participate in this important Campaign by walking at the 2nd Annual Paws for Peace Walk!
If you didn't know already, there is a direct link between domestic violence and animal abuse. Please read below to learn more about why we believe that no one should be left behind.
Why a Paws Kennel?
- 48% of domestic violence survivors delay leaving an abusive home because they don’t have a safe place for their pets.
- Pet abuse is often a retaliatory action of abusers. Animals are used as leverage by the batterer as a means to control their victims or as part of a pre-emptive strike to gain or maintain control.
- According to the American Animal Hospital Association, an estimated 88% of pets living in households with domestic violence are either abused or killed.
- Of all survivors who enter shelters to escape violence, 57% have had a pet killed by their abuser.
- Harbor House will be the only shelter in Central Florida with a kennel for pets of domestic violence survivors.
- Pets are not Pawns!
The Paws for Peace Campaign:
The Paws for Peace Campaign raises dollars for the construction and operations of the Harbor House's Paws Kennel and awareness for the connection between animal abuse and domestic abuse.
|Number of pledges received:||7|
|Number of page visits:||780|
|Days since event:||490|
|What:||3rd Annual Paws for Peace Walk|
|Where:||Blue Jacket Park|
|When:||Saturday November 3, 2012 at 07:30 AM|